What’s Life Like?
Staying one year
We think that giving a year to the missions field is one of the best things you could ever do! It takes more sacrifice and commitment than a two-week jaunt, but doesn’t come with the overwhelming sense of signing your life away. Many of us would be willing to give a year to serve Jesus in the nations. It’s long enough to build lasting relationships, and it’s short enough to leave you wanting more!
What’s it like to live there?
It’s great! You will get a nice apartment with your partner and live pretty much like you do in America. We rent a guys’ and a girls’ apartment very near the campus where your team is working, so you will definitely be within walking or biking distance of your new friends.
How’s the food?
It’s excellent – most of our people grow to love the food and miss it quite a bit when they return to the States.
Will I have a cell phone?
Yes, you’ll have a cell phone. Sweet, huh? They are inexpensive, and absolutely essential for connecting with your new Asian friends.
How do I communicate with home?
There are a number of ways:
- This is a great way for people to stay in touch with you and the rest of your team. Everyone on the team contributes regularly to the Campus Target blog. You can see it as www.campustarget.org/blogs/!
- Secure email
- You will use encrypted email during your time overseas, ensuring that your messages and email updates home are not read before they cross the ocean.
- Skype or other VoIP solution
- Skype offers cheap and secure calling, allowing you to call people back home for cheap or free, depending on their setup.
- Snail mail
- Sure it can take weeks, but there’s just nothing like a letter from mom or a care package at Christmas time!
How often will I be able to email or call home?
As often as you like. Most of our team members talk with their friends and family back home on a regular basis. This is a vital connection, both for you and for the people back home who care about you.
How do I access my money?
ATM’s baby! All the way. You’ll have an account with your name on it. Each month, money will be magically deposited into that account, and you can take your handy debit card and get some cash!